Visit The Phyl Campbell Website

Monday, October 20, 2014

House on Haunted Hill farce!!

My son was part of the backstage crew in a parody of House on Haunted Hill that just wrapped up this week. The backstage crew were ghosts who engaged in pranking the actors on and off stage. I knew this young man would be a great prankster.



And was not surprised that he got to be a funny-man.


However, to avoid even the pretense of being "One of THOSE" stage-moms, I didn't read the script. When I went to see the play, I had little idea of what to expect. Normally I have at least helped my son go over his lines -- not speak too quickly, that kind of thing. With no lines, there was no need for me to do that.

J in a production this summer. We BOTH knew all his lines for this one!
Staged parodies aren't really my thing. Puns really only work well for me when fresh and in the moment. A play that has been rehearsed for months is neither. That is not meant to be disrespectful to the writer, a 17 year old member of the troupe, or the actors, who filled their roles very well. Only that, like slapstick and other many forms of comedy, it really isn't my can of Dr. Pepper.

My laptop, my WIP, and MY can of Dr. Pepper. ;)     


But my son responsibly conducted himself through five performances in four days -- even though he was "done" after the second show. I am so very proud of him.

J enjoys a plate of spaghetti between shows on Saturday. 

And I'm proud of myself. I DID manage to step back and let him do what he needed. He did not disappoint me. And the next time, he won't disappoint me, either. He will make me proud. My little boy is growing up. May the village help me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment