Visit The Phyl Campbell Website

Thursday, January 20, 2022

KDP -- the Saga Continues



What's that Blues Traveler song?

The latest from KDP is that they're still refusing to take responsibility for blocking my Health Journal series. They expect me to take down and resubmit the paperbacks -- that are currently LIVE -- to get rid of the attached ebooks that they don't want me to have. Yet I, as a platform user, am not allowed to delete things I have submiitted for publication, so even if I followed the steps they advise, the items blocking my series would still be there. Plus, then I would have duplicate listings for the same print books. There must be a fix on their end -- because there isn't on mine without violating the T&C of the platform, which is what I feel they're asking me to do.

Then, they were kind enough to threaten to suspend or cancel my account, and then thanked me for publishing with them.

Can you tell I'm a bit frustrated? Because I am. I have published and unpublished nearly 100 books with the KDP platform. My time in publishing is longer than theirs, as I worked with CreateSpace before them and Lulu during the transition. If KDP were not a necessary aspect to publishing books on Amazon, as evidenced by the many struggles others are having with IS, D2D, and other platforms that feed into Amazon via a 3rd party, I would go back to Lulu. But Amazon, like WalMart to this native Arkansan, has become a necessary nuisance.

This is not capitalism. This is gatekeeping at a level that KDP's predecessor CreateSpace specifically claimed to be against. Perhaps CreateSpace made too many opportunities for small fish to have a chance in a big pond. Perhaps that is why KDP killed it. I know other authors are being pirated and losing their accounts -- I am relieved to not be having that problem. But then other low content book creators are able to make mortgage payments solely off passive income streams -- with the one star reviews to show for it. I'm not jealous of them. I just want an equitable chance to list my products and make them easy for customers to find.

Until then, here are the products that may be found and purchased on Amazon. The 8x10 versions are $14.90 and the 6x9 versions are $12.90. The Yin Yang cat version is still available as ebook for those who have their own blank books to fill in. Clicking on the picture should take you to the corresponding Amazon page.









No comments:

Post a Comment