Visit The Phyl Campbell Website

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Flash Fiction After Dark

I'm creating posts about the writing games I have created to save lengthy explanations in individual emails to panels or forums where I might offer them.  The videos are the results of individual rounds of play.

                                                                  "Star Struck"
                                                                       

Flash Fiction After Dark

What is it?
FFAD is a game I created (and it continues to evolve and improve each time I play it). I describe it as Cards Against Humanity (or Apples to Apples) with only the prompt cards. I also describe it as host aided community storytelling. Some people compare it to a written improv game or a game like Who's Line is it Anyway? 

How do you play? 
Participants write their own responses and either the host shares the responses collectively or the participants share their own. As host, sometimes I read only and exactly what is written on the cards. Other times I use the responses to fill in parts of a larger story. 

                            "Pet Care"

Who is the target player? 
I have played this game with teens only, adults only, and a mixed-age group. 
                          "Favorite Holiday"

How many can play at once? How long does a game take?
Time for FFAD depends on the number of participants. Having less than 5 is not ideal. This is a game of the more, the merrier! Games are played in rounds, so could run from 15 minutes to an hour. I have had an adult game go for two hours without it feeling tedious. And one six year old who would have happily played all night if we'd have let her.  
                              "Western"

                  "Last Thing on the Shopping List"

                     "My Parents Made a Mistake"



I've even started making gameplay cards -- just like a real game show host!

I'm building collections of both holiday themes and generic prompts. I'd love to hear your ideas and suggestions for FFAD!

Phyl Campbell is Author, Mother, Dreamer. Right now, she's in over her head with book projects whose
(author-self-imposed) deadlines pass her by. She waves at them and only cries a little as they pass. Sometimes Mother and Dreamer get in the way of Author, and sometimes Author catches up. Check out Phyl's author page on Amazon. 
Other articles of interest:
A Muse Meant
Finding Pink Elephants

No comments:

Post a Comment